Muster Roll of the Expedition, Compostela, February 22, 1540
Depict and understand the structure and relationships of the 289 men that departed from Nueva Galicia (Mexico) to Cibola (Hawikuh), New Mexico. The expedition was led by Francisco Vásquez de Coronado and were reviewed by Viceroy Antonio de Mendoza on February 22, 1540. The expedition sought the Seven Cities of Gold.
Archivo General de Indias, Guadalajara, 5, R.1., N.7.
Flint, Richard and Shirley Cushing Flint, eds. Documents of the Coronado Expedition, 1539-1542. Dallas: Southern Methodist University Press, 2005. Muster Roll – Doc 12.pdf. (PDF version for educational, nonprofit use only.) Coronado Expedition Docs 5 – 13 – 19 – 22 – 23 – 24 – 25 – 28.pdf. (PDF version for educational, nonprofit use only.)
National Parks Service. “Hawikuh and the Zuni-Cibola Complex, New Mexico.” Accessed on 28 January 2019. https://www.nps.gov/nr/travel/american_latino_heritage/Hawikuh_Zuni-Cibola.html
- Collect secondary source materials on:
- Political/military: Spanish military chain of command, formations, equipment, uniforms, and horses.
- Geography: Natural characteristics territory for the journey between Nueva Galicia and Cibola.
- Social/familial: Origins the mens’ Spanish families and any interrelations.
- Economic: Estimates of the costs associated with equipping the muster roll and the necessary provisions for the journey.
- Religious: Any religious affiliations (brotherhoods, family in religious orders) that characterized the men.
- Written record: Any pertinent stories, diaries, letters, etc that depict the nature of Spanish expeditions.
- Auditory record: Any information pertaining to military music and calls used with formations.
- Create informational descriptions to embed within virtual world:
- Create biographical descriptions and other relevant information for each person.
- Create descriptive “info. cards” for each component of the muster roll.
- Create descriptive “info. cards” for geographic and environment characteristics.
- Prepare a hypothetical expedition narrative based on the primary and secondary sources.
- Generate specifications for virtual world:
- Geographic information from present-day maps.
- Natural world characteristics.
- Human-built environment characteristics.
- Weather and climate characteristics.
- Humanoid and animal characteristics.
- Generate virtual world narrative with time-delineated action steps (actors, environment sequences).
- Virtual world (environment) for multiple scenes (muster assembly, muster travel sequence)
- Variations of humanoids and animals.
- Variations of equipment and other VR (furniture).
- Visual programming sequences in conjunction with private sector partner (Zatun.com)
- Virtual world.
- Prototype of muster assembly action sequence.
- Prototype of muster travel sequence.
- Beta-test with students and faculty (test for bugs and errors):
- Stand-alone virtual world with essential VR and AR navigation.
- Play-back sequences.
- Revision and Redevelopment.
- Release of “Muster Roll and Expedition” VR world and action sequence.